All Saints Church
All Saints Church was completed in 1887 to accommodate the rapidly growing population of West Gosforth, including farming, mining and trading communities.
It was designed by the Diocesan architect Robert Johnson and is an example of Gothic revival architecture, described in the press as “one of the finest modern churches in the North of England”. Internally it has some impressive Victorian wood carvings by Ralph Hedley, a renowned local wood carver. All Saints is an outstanding example of his filigree carving. There is a magnificent organ, stained glass windows and a beautiful modern crucifix above the chancel screen.
The landmark tower has a peal of 10 bells some dedicated to former ringers who died in World War 1.
For more information see our history, ‘Pennies from Heaven’, by Dr. Patricia Hilton, containing over 200 illustrations and available from the Parish Office for £9.99.
The church is available to rent for concerts and similar events.